
St Mary the Virgin Church, Cropedy, Oxfordshire
St Mary the Virgin Church, Cropedy, Oxfordshire
The Church of England parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin is built of the local ironstone, which is a ferrous Jurassic limestone. Parts of the south aisle date from the 13th century. However, most of the present building is Decorated Gothic and was built in the 14th century, including the chancel arch, nave arcades, east window and most of the windows in the south aisle. In the 15th century Perpendicular Gothic alterations were made including a clerestory added above the nave, the north aisle rebuilt with new windows, and both aisles extended eastwards to form side chapels.
The church had a clock by 1512, when the vicar, Roger Lupton, left £6 13s 4d in his will in trust for the churchwardens to pay someone to keep the clock running and chiming every quarter-hour and the village curfew. Lupton's will prescribed that the wardens be fined 6s 8d per month of £10 per year if they were to fail. A new clock may have been installed around 1700, and Lupton's clock may then have been transferred to Claydon. The later clock was itself replaced in 1831 with a new one made by John Moore and Sons of Clerkenwell, London.
The bell tower has a ring of bells. There were six, but in 2007 two new treble bells increased this to eight. One of the new bells is named St Mary; the other Fairport Convention Festival Bell.
All prints come with a certificate of authenticity and signed.
Unmounted prints are wrapped and shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube. Mounted prints are backed and wrapped and available upon request.
Available in three sizes: small (A5 - 6x6", mounted to 8x8"), or medium (A4 - 8x8”, mounted to 11x11"), each limited to a run of 75.